DCFS takes custody of second child after 2-year-old's murder


    6:24 p.m. Thursday update:

    We're learning the other child of Twan'ka L. Davis is currently in the custody of DCFS.

    DCFS also confirmed they are investigating allegations of abuse and neglect.

    They said they have had prior contact with Twan'ka because of prior allegations of abuse and neglect.

    1 p.m. Thursday Update:

    We're now learning more about the conditions surrounding a nearly 3-year-old girl found unresponsive a little before 8 a.m. on Feb. 11.

    According to a sworn statement, Ta'naja was found extremely dirty on her hands, feet, head, and face. Decatur Ambulance told police she was wrapped in a soiled blanket with a strong smell of urine.

    Medical staff said her core temperature was so low it wouldn't register on their device.

    Officers on scene reported an overwhelming smell of urine, feces, and rotten food/garbage.

    Officers say Davis, her boyfriend, Anthony Myers, Ta'naja, and her son, Anthony Myers Jr., were at home when they arrived.

    Twan'ka told police the last time she saw Ta'naja was at 7 p.m. the previous day when she brought in her dinner. Twan'ka said Ta'naja refused to eat the food and hadn't eaten her lunch either. The next day, Feb. 11, Twan'ka found Ta'naja laying on the floor unresponsive.

    Police said the temperature on the thermostat inside the home was set to 45 degrees. Police reported the thermostat was on and set to auto at 75 degrees. While on scene, temperature continued to rise and at 11 a.m. it was 58 degrees in the home. The child's mother, Twan'ka Davis, told police she would sometimes turn the heat off at the home. Davis later admitted she took the heater from Ta'naja's room because the room she shared with her boyfriend was cold.

    Police report the mother told them Anthony Myers Jr., the son of Twan'ka and Anthony Myers Sr., is allowed to sleep in the room with them.

    Twan'ka admitted to police she routinely turned off the heat to the home at night, including the Saturday and Sunday night before Ta'naja died.

    Twan'ka told police Ta'naja spends most of her time in her bedroom and cannot get out unless they let her out.

    Police found signs of rodent and insect infestation inside the home. Officers also stated that the kitchen was extremely filthy and not maintained. The sinks were partiality full of brownish colored liquid with grease floating on top.

    A window in one of the bedrooms was also found to be missing glass in the bottom pane. Anthony Myers told officers they would keep the door to that room closed and the upstairs is usually cold.

    Police say there was no running water in the house and only one bathroom. The toilet was almost full to the brim with a dark brown colored liquid with some sort of debris floating in it.

    Law enforcement reported there was only a toddler bed in Ta’naja’s room. without any sheets or blankets on the bed.

    Officers reported seeing rodent feces on the floor in her room and feces consistent with what a small child would make.

    When asked about the feces on the floor, Twan'ka denied it being there and said Ta’naja had a potty chair in her room. Police did not find a potty chair in her room. Officers did find it in a closet in another room, full of feces.

    There was an empty 2-liter bottle and an empty half pint of vodka bottle found in the room as well.

    Twan'ka also told officers she gave Ta’naja food but doesn’t control if she eats it. She went on to say she used the vodka bottle to give water to Ta’naja.

    An autopsy performed on Ta'naja revealed she was just 21 pounds at the time of her death. When Ta'naja was last seen by a doctor while in foster care in July 2018 she weighed 25.8 pounds. She was returned to Twan'ka's care in August 2018.

    Twan'ka Davis and Anthony Myers Sr.'s son, who is 1 year and 2 months younger than Ta'naja, weighed 28 pounds.

    Police say Twan'ka accepted no responsibility for Ta’naja’s death.

    11:30 a.m. Thursday Update:

    The Macon County Coroner has identified the 2-year-old who was found dead on Feb. 11 as Ta'naja Barnes.

    The coroner says she was pronounced dead at 8:06 a.m. at St. Mary's Hospital.

    We're told the autopsy began on Feb. 12 in Bloomington, Illinois. They are reviewing pertinent information on the child and awaiting completion of the autopsy associated testing. After testing and a review, the final autopsy report will be released by the chief pathologist.

    7 a.m. Thursday Update:

    The mother of a 2-year-old girl has been arrested.

    Decatur Police say 21-year-old Twan'ka L. Davis was taken into custody Wednesday.

    Her arrest comes after her 2-year-old daughter was found unresponsive Monday, Feb. 11 around 7:48 a.m. in the 1800 block of East North Street.

    When officers and medical personnel arrived on scene, the 2-year-old was immediately taken to St. Mary’s Hospital.

    The 2-year-old was pronounced dead upon arrival at the hospital.

    Decatur police then began an investigation into the child's death. The investigation led police to have probable cause to arrest Davis.

    Davis is charged with Murder, Involuntary Manslaughter and Endangering the Life and Health of a Child.

    The investigation is still on-going investigation.

    News In Photos

      Loading ...