Update: TxDOT worker from Amarillo killed in Roberts County accident
ROBERTS COUNTY (KVII) —
Update at 10:21 a.m.
Sonja Gross, public information officer for the Texas Department of Transportation, issued this statement:
"We are deeply saddened by the loss of a member of our TxDOT family yesterday afternoon in a vehicle crash. Cesar Martinez was working for us as a summer engineering tech in the Pampa Area Office. The accident remains under investigation by the Texas Department of Public Safety. Please keep the Martinez family in your thoughts and prayers."
One man was killed and another injured Tuesday afternoon in a two-vehicle accident on Texas Highway 70 in rural Roberts County about 17 miles north of Pampa, according to a news release from the Texas Department of Public Safety.
Declared dead at the scene was Cesar Martinez, 22, of Amarillo.
The investigation remains under investigation at this time, according to the release.
According to the release:
- The accident occurred at 4 p.m. Tuesday on SH-70 17 miles north of Pampa
- The first vehicle was a 1997 Dodge Ram 3500 van
- Driver of the van was Cesar Martinez, 22, of Amarillo.
- Martinez was declared deceased at scene, and his next of kin has been notified.
- A passenger in the van was identified as Javier Reyna, 26, of Canyon.
- His injuries were not incapacitating, and he was treated then released from Pampa Regional Medical Center.
- The second vehicle was identified as a 2016 Kenworth Truck Tractor pulling 2018 JECTC flatbed trailer.
- Driver of the semi trailer truck was Wade Lookingbill, 58, Channing. He was not injured.
- The van was southbound on SH 70. The semi was northbound on SH 70.
- The van driver dropped his cell phone, the passenger bent down to pick up the phone.
- The van driver may have been paying attention to passenger and not the roadway as the van veered into northbound lane sideswiping the semi on the driver side.
- Crash is still under investigation by DPS Texas Highway Patrol.
ABC 7 Amarillo will have details as they develop.