AMARILLO, Texas (KVII) — No one was injured in a fire that started at a Northeast Amarillo home Thursday afternoon.
The Amarillo Fire Department said six units responded to the fire at 2924 N. Hill St. The occupants of the home had been gone all day but when they came home, they saw smoke coming from the house and called 911.
When crews arrived at the scene, they saw smoke, but no fire, coming from the house, AFD said.
Firefighters made entry to the home and found there was fire behind a central heating unit in the garage. AFD said that was the fire did not extend into the attic and no other fire was found.
Due to the possible low temperatures going into the weekend, AFD said the Red Cross was responding to see if it would be possible for the family, which included three adults and two children, to have access to heat.
According to AFD, no one was injured in the fire and the estimated damages were around $5,000.
AFD said the Amarillo Fire Marshal's Office did not respond because firefighters were sure of where the fire originated, which was the central heating unit.