MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Amarillo Fire crews battle blaze at apartment complex started by dryer

The Amarillo Fire Department battled a structure fire early Thursday morning at the Cypress Creek Apartments that was caused by a lint trap and vent in a drier. (MGN Online)

The Amarillo Fire Department battled a structure fire early Thursday morning at the Cypress Creek Apartments that was caused by a lint trap and vent in a dryer.

According to AFD, at about 6:45 a.m., Amarillo Fire Dispatch received a report of a possible structure fire at the apartments at 527 Jason Avenue. Units arrived on scene in under 10 minutes to find smoke coming from a first-floor apartment.

Crews were able to quickly extinguish the flames that were confined to a dryer. The fire was ruled under control just before 7 a.m.

The sprinkler system did activate, however, this resulted in significant water damage to the apartment. Damages were estimated at $5,000.

The Amarillo Fire Marshall's Office was called to the scene and ruled the fire accidental and determined it originated in the dryer.

AFD reminds citizens of the importance of maintaining and cleaning the lint trap and vent of dryers in the home. Not maintaining them results in a fire hazard.

The complex had properly maintained and working smoke detectors. Once residents were alerted to the fire, they were able to escape the apartment without injury. There were no other injuries in this incident.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending