85
      Saturday
      87 / 64
      Sunday
      92 / 65
      Monday
      93 / 65

      Space heater blamed for Amarillo fire

      Combustible materials too close to a space heater caused a fire that damaged an Amarillo home Wednesday evening, according to the Amarillo Fire Department.

      Just before 5 p.m., firefighters arrived to a home in the 800 block of South Adams to find smoke visible from the exterior.

      Inside the home were five of the ten children living there, fire officials said. All occupants were able to escape the home without injuries.

      Firefighters made an offensive attack to support the search for people inside. Most of the fire was in the front living room.

      Fire officials said the room caught fire because of combustible materials too close to a space heater. The high heat and smoke conditions, according to the fire department, were accelerated because of high winds.

      The fire was kept from extending into the attic.

      Approximately $15,000 in damage was done to the home, according to fire officials.

      The Texas Panhandle Chapter of the American Red Cross also responded to the fire and was able to provide lodging, food and clothing to the family.

      "The American Red Cross is here to help people impacted by disasters like this home fire in our community," Executive Director Steve Pair said. "We make sure they have the basics immediately-food, clothing and safe shelter."