Road construction, Chamber Cook-Off slow Downtown Amarillo traffic
AMARILLO, Texas (KVII) —
Amarillo Police are saying traffic in Downtown Amarillo has been slowed due to both road construction and roads being blocked off for the Amarillo Chamber Cook-Off.
As vendors set up booths for the Amarillo Chamber BBQ, streets in the Downtown area are being blocked off and existing road construction makes navigating the one-way streets even more difficult.
APD wants to help drivers by letting them know what streets to avoid:
- Motorists driving northbound on I-27 towards Downtown will be forced to take Fillmore Street, as Buchanan Street is closed from I-27 to Southeast 8th Avenue.
- Drivers can go east or west on 10th Avenue.
- Polk and Tyler streets are both closed from 10th Avenue to 12th Avenue.
- 11th Avenue is closed between Taylor and Harrison streets.
- Southbound I-27 will be reduced to one lane of traffic starting Tuesday, Sept. 12, until 4 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 14. Traffic will narrow to one lane immediately south of the Downtown interchange and continue slightly past the 26th Avenue exit.
- Traffic traveling I-27 northbound will be reduced to two lanes from 26th Avenue to the Downtown interchange starting Tuesday, Sept. 12, until 4 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 13.
According to APD, all roads around the Amarillo Chamber of Commerce will reopen Thursday at 11 p.m.
Construction is still ongoing at I-40 and Soncy Street, I-40 and Bell Street, and on I-40 between Washington Street and Grand Street.
APD wants to remind everyone to slow down through the construction zones and pay attention to what's going on around them. APD said drivers need to read the road signs and, if a driver knows a lane is closed ahead, get over as soon as it's safe to do so.