MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Potter Co. family reunites with Good Samaritan after house fire

A Potter County family is reuniting with a Good Samaritan who ran inside to rescue a loved one during a house fire in November 2017. (ABC 7Amarillo-Tiffany Lester)

One Potter County family lost their home with all of their memories, and even a few pets, in a house fire in November 2017.

But it could have been much worse. They could have lost a husband and father if two Good Samaritans had not been there to run inside and save him.

Friday, they reunited in Amarillo for the first time since the fire.

ABC 7 News has the exclusive report.

The Lawler family is meeting with a man they call an "Angel".

It started on Paloma Drive in November when Mary and JD Lawler's home was on fire.

As Mary tried to put out the fire with a water hose, her husband, JD, was inside sleeping.

Tyson Banks and his brother were in Amarillo from Dallas to deliver a mattress when they saw the fire and ran inside to save him.

They captured the rescue on the video seen below.


The two men were in the right place at the right time doing what Banks said he felt was the right thing.

“It felt like the right thing to do just knowing another human being was inside, it was definitely something that had to be done,” said Banks.

Friday, they are meeting up for the first time since the fire.

“If it hadn't of been for Tyson, I probably wouldn't be standing here right now with my husband still alive,” said Mary Lawler.

“I appreciate it more than words can say,” said JD Lawler. “He did save my life. I don't know if I'd have the guts to go into a burning house like that and pull them out, but I think I would.”

Banks tells ABC 7 News that seeing the gratitude of the family makes putting his own life in danger by running into a fiery situation worthwhile.

The Lawler’s are currently living with their daughter just down the street from where their former home once stood.

They tell ABC 7 News they lost all of the medications and medical equipment along with all of their memories in the fire.

They did not have homeowner’s insurance.

If you would like to help pay for some of their expenses, click here to donate.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending