Motorcycles collide; two taken hospital with life-threatening injuries
AMARILLO, Texas (KVII) —
Two motorcycle riders are undergoing treatment this morning after they collided Thursday night in the 700 Block of Southwest 10th Avenue.
Amarillo Police investigators on the scene described the crash that happened near Zombiez Bar & Grill, 711 SW 10th.
According to the sergeant on scene:
- Officers were called about 10:15 p.m. Thursday.
- The first cyclist, described as a white man, 46, was eastbound in the left lane of 10th Avenue. His intent was to turn into the bar parking lot and missed the turn, police said.
- The first rider decided to whip a U-turn to return to the bar.
- The second rider, described as a Hispanic man, 41, tried to pass the first cyclist on the left as the first rider began to make his U-turn.
- The pair collided.
- Both men were taken to the hospital with what was believed to be life-threatening injuries.
- The officer on the scene said excessive speed and alcohol appeared to be a factor for the second rider.