MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Homeless warming fire leads to garage fire Tuesday morning

Fire officials responded to a detached garage fire Tuesday morning that was caused after a homeless person started a warming fire. (File Photo)

Fire officials responded to a detached garage fire Tuesday morning that was caused after a homeless person started a warming fire.

According to the Amarillo Fire Department, around 8:45 a.m., officials responded to a fire on S. Georgia Street.

When crews arrived on scene, they found a detached garage with heavy fire and smoke showing from the front of the structure. Crews found a pile of debris burning just outside of the building.

Once firefighters had the fire under control, they discovered a wooden fence and the exterior of the detached building were damaged. Crews were able to extinguish the fire before it had a chance to extend inside the garage.

The residential home did not sustain any damage.

The Amarillo Fire Marshal's Office responded and after an investigation of the scene and interviewing residents, determined that a homeless person had started a warming fire next to the garage, which then spread to the debris pile.

The fire was ruled as accidental. Officials said there are an estimated $15,000 in damages.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending