Fire engulfs Amarillo apartments
Wed, 18 Jan 2012 19:55:00 GMT —
Update Thursday 12:04p
ire officials have determined that this fire was started by an outdoor propane cooker that was being used inside.
Amarillo Fire Captain Wes Hall confirmed to Pronews 7 that the fire's cause was accidental.
Fire officials have contained a large fire at a set of homes that left at least four families displaced in Northeast Amarillo Wednesday morning.
The building, located in the 5900 block of NE 9th Ave, became fully engulfed by the flames. The original call came in at around 10:30 a.m.
Amarillo Fire Department said the fire was able to get into the attic and caused heavy damage throughout the building.
The fire was contained to the original building but according to scanner traffic, an adjacent building was evacuated.
No injuries were reported but fire officials said at least four families were displaced. The Texas Panhandle Chapter of the American Red Cross is providing assitance to those families affected.
A second alarm was dispatched to the fire in order to add more firefighters and trucks. The losses are estimated at $150,000.