MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Electrical malfunction in toaster leads to house fire

The Amarillo Fire Department said an electric toaster is the cause of a house fire on Tuesday morning. (File Photo)

The Amarillo Fire Department said an electric toaster is the cause of a house fire on Tuesday morning.

According to officials, AFD responded to a structure fire in the 5000 block of Brown Street.

When crews arrived on scene around 10:45 a.m., they found light smoke coming from a single story residence. When crews made entry, they found fire on and inside a wall in the kitchen. Officials said the fire was stopped before extending into the attic and was called under control at 11:11 a.m.

The occupant of the house said they could smell something burning and heard a crackling sound, so they left the house and called 911.

The Amarillo Fire Marshal's Office responded and determined that the cause of the fire was an electrical malfunction of an electric toaster.

Authorities said damages are estimated around $5,000.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending