MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Early morning fire at four-unit apartments causes $25K in damages

The Amarillo Fire Department worked a structure fire at 605 N. Nelson early Tuesday morning that caused about $25,000 in damages. (File Photo)

The Amarillo Fire Department worked a structure fire at 605 N. Nelson early Tuesday morning that caused about $25,000 in damages.

According to officials, AFD units responded to the fire at about 2:30 a.m., and found a four-unit apartment building with heavy smoke and visible fire. Crews were able to enter the apartment and get the fire under control at about 3 a.m.

Fire damages were contained to the unit the fire originated in. The other three units suffered smoke and water damages.

All four units were occupied but all occupants escaped the blaze unharmed.

The occupant of the unit where the fire originated said that she left her space heater too close to the mattress and it caught on fire. She then panicked and threw laundry on top of the fire in an attempt to smother the flames but that only made the fire grow larger.

The Amarillo Fire Marshal's office responded and confirmed the fire was started by the space heater. The cause of the fire was then determined to be accidental.

The American Red Cross was called on scene to assist the occupants.

Damages from the fire were estimated at $25,000.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending