61
      Thursday
      85 / 48
      Friday
      85 / 53
      Saturday
      87 / 55

      Cigarette causes fire, man arrested

      Stephen Ieropol

      Tell us what you think about throwing out lit cigarettes! Have you ever seen someone do it? Comment on our Facebook page!

      He should have just kept his butt in the car.

      His cigarette butt, that is.

      It's a cigarette butt that caused a man to be arrested after a fire started after he flicked out his cigarette and a fire started.

      Amarillo Police say officers, along with firefighters, were dispatched to the area behind 3220 Soncy on a grassfire. Stephen Ieropol, 39, said he flicked his cigarette away and a fire started. He tried to put the fire out unsuccessfully and then reported the fire.

      The fire caused extensive damage to a fence behind 3220 Soncy, Police said.

      Leropol is charged with a violation of Amarillo Municipal Code 10-2-16, for failure to properly dispose of his lit cigarette. He was booked into the Randall County Detention Center.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER