48 / 24
      50 / 22
      55 / 26

      Chemical spill in east Amarillo

      Firefighters treat an exposed employee


      Three people were injured Wednesday morning after a chemical spill at a local business.

      Fire officials say an employee at West Silver Recycling on Amarillo Boulevard was engulfed by a vapor cloud while cutting a metal cylinder with a piece of equipment.

      The vapors then spread through the yard. Officials say level of chlorine and anhydrous ammonia were detected in the air. Fortunately the spill was small and there were no reports of any serious injuries.

      Previously Posted:

      Haz-Mat is cleaning up an anhydrous ammonia spill at West Silver Recycling at Amarillo Boulevard East and Fairfield.

      We're told that two people were sent to the hospital, their injuries are not believed to be serious.

      Authorities on the scene tell us that it was a small spill. Everyone who works at the company has been washed off by the Haz-Mat team as a precaution.

      All of this is preliminary and we will continue to follow the incident and bring you any new information.

      Previously Posted:

      ProNews 7's Kale Steed is on the scene of the spill, and tells us it happened at W Silver Recycling. Authorities on the scene say they should have it cleaned up shortly. We expect a release on the incident soon and will let you know as soon as we know more.

      Previously Posted:

      Amarillo police and a Haz-Mat team has been called out to the area of 3300 block of Amarillo Boulevard East. According to scanner traffic, anhydrous ammonia has been released in that area.

      One possible injury, EMS had been called to the scene and a reported 8 people have been exposed. Local authorities are working in the area, you are asked to avoid that area if at all possible.

      We have a crew on the scene and will continue to follow this and bring you and more information as it becomes available.