70 / 53
      77 / 54
      85 / 56

      Amarillo Race for the Cure Saturday

      According to the Greater Amarillo Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, more than 6,000 runners and walkers from across the Texas Panhandle are expected to participate in Amarillo's largest footrace to help promote positive awareness, education and early detection of breast cancer.

      The 23rd Annual "Greater Amarillo Race for the Cure" will be Saturday, September 28, 2013 in downtown Amarillo.

      Race for the Cure Co-Chair Ashley Kelley says race participants will enjoy a showcase EXPO presented by national and local sponsors, a Kids for the Cure Corner featuring hands-on activities for children and their parents, and special activities for breast cancer survivors.

      "This Race offers activities for all ages, and we're so grateful for the support of thousands of men, women and children in the Panhandle area who are helping us spread the breast cancer awareness message within our community," Kelley said.

      According to the organization, the success of the Greater Amarillo Race for the Cure and other affiliate fundraising events has allowed Komen Amarillo to distribute over $1.5 million to community based programs in the Texas Panhandle. Up to 75 percent of the funds raised at the Race remain here in the affiliate to provide breast health research, diagnostics, screening, treatment, services and education for uninsured or underinsured women. The remaining 25 percent goes to fund national research to discover the causes of breast cancer and, ultimately, its cures.

      "Donations provide women and men in the Panhandle area with services like free mammograms and diagnostics, medical treatment, education and support services that help save lives. Last year, the Komen Greater Amarillo Affiliate was able to dedicate $175,000 for the twenty-six counties of the Texas Panhandle. This year we're aiming even higher," said Callie Holton, Race for the Cure Co-Chair.

      Visit www.komenamarillo.org to register online and for additional Race information.

      Susan G. Komen Greater Amarillo Race for the Cure

      Saturday, September 28, 2013

      4th and Polk Street, Downtown Amarillo

      6:30am - Registration Opens

      7:00am - Survivor Breakfast Begins

      8:00am - 5K Competitive

      8:00am - EXPO/Kids for the Cure Corner Open

      8:45am - Survivor Photo and Parade

      9:00am - Awards and Closing Ceremonies

      9:15am - 5K Fun Run/Walk, 1 Mile Fun Run/Walk

      Individual Adult: $30.00

      Kids for the Cure: $20.00