81
      Saturday
      93 / 67
      Sunday
      93 / 67
      Monday
      93 / 69

      Amarillo painter suffers second degree burns in house fire

      A painter suffered second degree burns after a home he was working on caught fire Saturday.

      According the Amarillo Fire Department that blaze sparked just after noon at 7505 Continental Parkway. Officials say the fire originated in a large master closet in the southwest corner of the house which was under construction. Painters were applying an undercoating or primer to the cabinets and trim work in the closet when the fire happened. There was no ventilation in the closet where the work was being performed and the build of combustible or flammable vapors is believed to be what ignited a source. Officials say although the exact source of the ignition could not be positively identified, there were several in the area including a work lamp, various electrical cords, and the paint spraying equipment itself.

      The worker that suffered those second degree burns was transported to Northwest Texas Hospital to be treated. At least two other workers were in the house at the time of the fire, but were not injured. Fire crews were able to put the blaze out quickly. Officials say damage to the closet was minor and confined to that area. The fire caused an estimated $5,000 in damages.