49 / 29
      48 / 24
      50 / 25

      Amarillo house fire prompts investigation

      A marillo Fire Department was dispatched early Wednesday morning to a structure fire in Amarillo.

      At 2:30 a.m., a structure fire in the first-floor residence in the 800 block of South Jackson Street started. The residence was unoccupied at the time of the blaze.

      According to a news release from AFD, the fire seemed to have been intentionally started and a Fire Marshal was called to the scene to investigate.

      The fire spread through two apartments, however, most of the damage was contained to the initial apartment where it began.

      Fire fighters were able to contain the fire in six minutes and there were no injuries reported.

      Smoke alarms were not present in several of the apartments, according to the news release.

      The estimated dollar losses are about $5,000 and $500 in smoke damage.

      The Fire Marshal and the Amarillo Fire Department urges residents to have working smoke alarms in the home and to replace the battery twice a year, when you change the time on your clocks.